Thursday, February 17, 2011

What am I inspired by?

So now I'm moving on to the next phase of questions for my artist statement introspection.

What inspires me to create?

There's so many things that inspire me that it's hard for me to narrow it down to just a few things.

For Fairy Tale Circus (the series I'm currently working on) I've been inspired by childhood stories and fairy tales, as well as the early circus and freak show posters. What would happen if the characters life wasn't happily ever after, what if they were considered more like freaks and had to join the circus to make a living? For every painting I create my own story for that character.

I'm always drawn to childhood dreams and fears. Things that captured my imagination as a child... and are still enchanting and haunting me to this day.

For the characters, I look through tons of photos and I know which face I want to paint just by looking at them. There's usually something in the expression or the eyes that says, "This is the person I want to paint right now, this person looks like a Rapunzel to me." I wish there was more to it than that, it's almost like I have a new muse for each painting I create.

Here's some pics of things that are inspiring me right now...

Old Circus, Freak Show and Carnival posters
Early English and French portraits of royalty
Flashy light up carnival signs
sparkles... I love sparkles and I will find a way to have them in my paintings!
The forest is always a magical place for me.
Looking at the treetops....
Cemeteries? Yes definitely! A cemetery and the people buried
in it have their own story to tell if you know how to listen.



I love candy... actually I really don't have much of a sweet tooth
but I love the way colorful candy looks. It makes me think
of '50's soda fountains and candy stores....
Ice cream... pretty much the same reason as the candy
it was the small things that made you happy as a child.
Yes, one day my little pumpkin will end up in one of my paintings.
How could you not want to paint that face??

No comments:

Post a Comment